Chung Suk Kuhapdo is a sword based art that was created by Grand Master Lim, Hyun-su from his experience with Korean Kumdo and his training in the Japanese sword art of Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu with Komei Sekiguchi Sensei and Iwada Sensei.
The following is taken from www.jungkikwan.com
“Kuhap stands for a cutting act while standing up from a sitting posture. In America and Europe they have translated it as quick display of the sword. Kuhap is a martial art that has a profound truth. By practicing the right way of the sword, you get to know an indomitable spirit, a respectful courtesy, and thus get to reach a stage of being free of all thoughts.
It cleanses and trains the mind. Through Kuhapdo training, you get a high dignity of personality. It is a moral doctrine to rule yourself. You don’t get cut by another person and you don’t swing first. In today’s high technological society you may ask, why do you need Kuhapdo training when you can learn endurance and politeness from Dado, Sundo from Chansun, and a spirit of academic attitude from Seodo. You can learn a true way of life from Kuhapdo.
What can one learn from Kuhapdo?
- You reach a stage of being free of all thoughts.
- You always make right decisions in a daily life.
- You keep a dignity and calmness even in a dangerous situation, you become confident.
- You get acquainted with the sword and get to understand the sword. You do net learn the way of the killing with the sword. You use the sword for protection only.
- You get a truthful and caring attitude toward other people by learning to be courteous.
- You don’t need a practice partner. It is easy for all ages and sexes to learn.”
I have also found that Kuhapdo appeals to those people who…
- Would like a full body workout without the contact of other martial arts
- Are interested in developing their concentration and an eye for details
Kuhapdo classes are held at the University of Bridgeport (Wheeler Recreation Center) on Wednesday and Friday mornings from 8:00-9:00
Feel free to stop by and check out a class for free!